Crisis Situations


Each student’s situation is unique. In the event of a personal crisis, a Student Case Manager can help the student connect with resources and navigate University systems.


In the event of a medical emergency, a Case Manager can visit students in a hospital setting to work with the student and family (when applicable) to assess academic ramifications, refer to University programs and services upon discharge, and to help with University systems in the event that a student cannot continue with academics during the current semester.

Some students suffer from chronic health conditions that can have exacerbated symptoms during the academic year. Case Managers can work with the student & providers and liaison with faculty when health conditions interfere with academics. Students with chronic health conditions should always connect with Student Disability Center (SDC) for reasonable accommodations in the classroom


Each semester, some University students struggle with mental health. In the event of a mental health transport, evaluation, or hospitalization, the University may require the student to meet with a Case Manager to complete paperwork and discuss resources.

Students have rights regarding their mental health. Please view the Colorado State University “CSU & You: A Guide to Your Mental Health Rights and Responsibilities” and the Judge David L. Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law Campus Mental Health Know Your Rights.


Students with alcohol or drug abuse issues may find it helpful to work with a Case Manager to connect with campus and community resources. In the event of a transport involving alcohol or other drugs, the student will be required to meet with a Case Manager to complete a Self Care or Post Hospitalization Plan.

For more information on alcohol and other drugs please go to


A Case Manager may be consulted when a student’s behavior(s) is disruptive in the classroom, residence hall/apartment, or in the community. A coordinated needs assessment may be beneficial to determine appropriate referrals.


There may be times that you become concerned about a student or university employee. We encourage you to Tell Someone. People who may be experiencing an emotional difficulty or mental health illness may show specific signs that they need help. When in doubt, it is always best to Tell Someone!

You can call (970) 491-1350 to discuss concerns about any member of the CSU community. Referrals will be made to campus resources that can develop strategies and use resources to discreetly help students and employees who may be in distress. Referrals may also be made using the online Health and Safety Referral Form.

If a student or employee appears to be an imminent risk of causing harm to self or others, call the CSU Police Department at (970) 491-6425 and/or 911 immediately.