What is Student Case Management & Referral Coordination?

Student Case Management & Referral Coordination provides crisis prevention and intervention services. In difficult situations such as medical, mental health, behavioral, personal or family crisis, illness or injury, a student may find it difficult to navigate the resources and services available. Student Case Managers consult with students, faculty, staff, families, and providers to offer guidance on the next best steps.

What are the benefits of Student Case Management & Referral Coordination?

There are many benefits of working with SCM Office. The SCM Office acts a hub of information and referral for students, parents and family, and faculty and staff on campus. We answer questions regarding policies and procedures, communicating with professors, explaining academic options and being an on-going support. Parents, families, faculty and staff can be assured when a student is referred to the SCM Office we attempt to assist in supporting each student with individualized care and attention. Some specific examples of times when a SCM Office can be beneficial are verifying extenuating circumstances and request considerations from faculty as needed, assist with understanding options within different contexts; including, academic, conduct or behavioral, housing, community, athletics, international and graduate students, and help students connect with essential resources both on and off campus.

How does Student Case Management & Referral Coordination get referrals & who can send them?

Faculty – Many instructors list Case Management as a resource for students on their syllabi or refer students directly to the office. Staff – Campus staff members often reach out to make direct referrals as well as to consult about appropriate next steps when working or interacting with a student they are concerned about. Other Students – Students who have used Student Case Management services in the past refer friends who are struggling or are in crisis. Self-Reports – It is common for a student to find Student Case Management on the web and contact us directly. The University promotes Tell Someone which encourages people to report a student or employee they are concerned about. Case Managers typically follow up with Tell Someone reports related to students. Parents – Since students are sometimes reluctant to ask for help, parents often reach out to share a concern their student is facing.

I need an excused absence, can your office provide that for me?

No. CSU does not have a policy for excused absences for circumstances other than university sanctioned events. Instructors and departments are responsible for establishing attendance policies for classes and examinations. These policies must accommodate student participation in University-sanctioned extracurricular/co-curricular activities. There is no “excused absence” for illness, injury, or other personal circumstances. However, in the event of extenuating circumstances, with verifiable documentation, the student can request an absence notification be sent to their instructors.

I have missed class due to illness or injury. What do I need to do?

The Student Case Management Office can send out Instructor Notifications to professors after we have received documentation from either the attending physician’s office or the hospital.  If a doctor was not seen, you will need to contact your professors & explain the situation.  It is up to each professor to make the decision as to whether they will offer considerations. See our tab on “Class Absences”

What documentation is considered valid for verification of an absence?

If the absence is due to illness or injury, a letter from an attending physician or hospital.  Legal issues may be verified through police reports, jury or court  summons, or letters from legal representation. 


The experience of grief and loss is deeply personal and unique to each individual, which can make it challenging for a student to navigate, and for the university to verify a request for bereavement leave.  Student Case Management is available to support students in navigating current CSU policy regarding attendance regarding absences due to a loss of a family member or other person with whom the student had a close relationship.

What is the process to withdraw from Colorado State University? What are the things I need to know?

Sometimes circumstances occur and sometimes this is not the right time for a student to attend CSU. There may be significant consequences for a University Withdrawal that include loss of Insurance; Residence Hall (must move out within 48 hours) & Housing (rental contract issues); repayment of Financial Aid (student loans, Pell grants, loss of scholarships, etc.), loss of placement in an academic program, and possibly other consequences. Students should carefully consult with their academic adviser, Office of Financial Aid, and other University staff before completing a University Withdrawal. A University Withdrawal can be completed up until the last day of regular classes from their RamWeb account.

When is it appropriate for me (adviser, faculty, staff, parent) to contact your office?

Parents, families, faculty and staff can be assured when a student is referred to the SCM Office, an outreach will be made to assist in supporting each student with individualized care and attention. Feel free to contact our office.

I am unable to attend class, take notes, or complete homework/exams due to an injury, who should I contact?

Any student with a temporary or permanent disability should contact the Student Disability Center https://disabilitycenter.colostate.edu/ who may be able to provide reasonable academic accommodations.